Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Shin Splints Anyone?

Wow, I haven't had shin splints since my first year of track in high school! Any good ideas about how to deal with them. Someone told me to keep running with them, someone else told me to take a week or two break. Honestly I don't have a week or two to give up; I'm kind of on a schedule and don't want to lose momentum. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

8 comments:

Julianne said...

Mmm...here's a few temporary relief ideas:

- ice bath after each run
- run a tennis ball repeatedly over each leg after each run and then at least once more during the day/evening

More permanent:
- rest 3-7 days. Your legs will thank you.
- get new shoes. How old are your current ones? If you have put over 500 miles on them, get new ones, and go get your foot fitted by a specialty running shoe store. Expensive but correct shoes for your feet are the only way to go if you're running that long of distances.

(My word verification is "adverst", which is close to "adversity". I think it's a sign that this is just a setback and you'll pull through soon!)

Northern Nickle Clan said...

I had shin splints in high school. I tried a couple of things:

I tried to wear shoes that gave extra support to my ankles. And I tied them pretty snug.

There are also some stretches that you can do to lessen the pain. It looks silly to do them, but they work. Walk on the sides of your feet and it stretches the muscles above the ankles. Very helpful.

I don't remember if I tried this one or not, but maybe an ace wrap would help.

And if none of this sounds good, I bet you could do an internet search on it and come up with some pretty good suggestions.

Good luck, and happy running/resting.:)

Clint, Mel & Kids said...

Lift your toes, keeping your heals on the ground whenever you can...while reading, watching tv, etc. Also take Ibuprofin 30 min before running. Good luck.

The Dunns said...

Ice I hear is the best thing for shin splint. I have had them but not that bad. Are you training for a race? I feel like it has been forever since I have been able to check the blog. I am jealous you got to go to the Idaho state fair I always wanted to go growing up but my family never went. It looks like Emma enjoyed the rides and animals. Jane and Emma are growing up so fast. What are you plans for the Holidays? Well we hope all is well.
Take care-
Carly

The Dunns said...

Ok I am dumb I just read down further on the blog and saw you were training for a half marathon! Way to go! That will be so nice to be in Sunny California in the winter you are right!

L said...

What I do when I get shin spints, which is any time I start exercising again after not doing for a few months, is stretch your shin by pointing your toes behind you you and with the top of your foot toward the ground and stretch. I usually bend my other knee a little to stretch more. It helps and then just run or walk through them. They will go away soon. Ice and Ibprophen are great too.

kim and ned said...

Suck it up! love megan (your sister)

kim and ned said...

Nice Brooke. I hope your shins feel better. Good luck on you half marathon. When is that? We're running one in May here in Ogden. You and Devon should joins us.